This is the first of a series of weekly workouts I will be posting. Feel free to give them a go. I have cues in italics under the exercise. I will have detailed explanations of set-up, execution, and cues for more complicated movements. If still unsure, Google it.
LEVEL OF DIFFICULTY: ADVANCED
- Stationary Bike- 5min.
- Body weight Lunges: 2×10
- Body weight Squats: 2×10
- Hip abductors: 2×10
- Perform 1-2 warm up sets of each exercise at a low weight for familiarization.
- Set-up- Feet shoulder width or slightly wider. Toes pointed roughly 30 degrees outward. Bar placed on traps. Hands should be on bar for support. Head in a neutral position.
- Movement- Inhale and brace core before moving. Movement should begin in hips with knees following. Move body as if you are sitting in a chair behind you. Drop until your knees are at least a right angle and thighs are parallel to the ground. Make sure your chest is up, and your knees are over your ankles and not your toes. Drive from heels while forcing knees outward during the upward motion. Hip thrust for strong lockout. DO NOT LOCKOUT KNEES COMPLETELY.
- Ques- Hip thrusting is crucial for maximal strength on upward motion. Try to avoid butt winking (posterior pelvic tilt) when deep in the rep. Work on technique before trying very heavy weight. Ask for spot on heavier sets.
Smith machine front squat: 3×12
- Same cues as squat, except bar should be on front of shoulders with arms crossed or clean grip (use google for help).
- I like doing these on the smith machine because it removes the core from being the limiting factor. Quads should be mentally isolated when driving out of the bottom of the rep.
Barbell Walking Lunge: 3×10 each leg
Barbell hip thrust: 3×15
- Set-up- Use an exercise bench for this exercise. Place body perpendicular to bench so that your shoulder blades are the only body part supported by the bench. Do a practice thrust. Make sure your calves are perpendicular to the floor so that your knees are directly above your ankles. Feet should be shoulder width apart. Use a pad to support the weight of the bar against your hips.
- Movement- Drive hips with bar on waist. Lower back should remain straight, movement should be isolated to your hips alone. Eccentric should be slow and controlled, with a more explosive speed for the thrust. DO NOT hyper thrust, a linear lockout will suffice.
- Ques- inhale on dissent; exhale on thrust. Squeeze and hold for 1-2 seconds at peak of rep. If done correctly, hamstrings should feel slight engagement as well.
Leg Extension Burnout: Do all below in one continuous set. Avoid if you have knee problems.
- 10 reps at top 15 degrees of motion- very heavy
- 6 reps at roughly 10% less weight
- 6 reps at roughly 20% less weight
- 3 reps done very slowly- 5s eccentric and concentric; squeeze hard.
Swiss ball hamstring curls: 3×15
- Set-up- Use an exercise ball for this exercise. Place body on floor so that your upper back is on the ground and your calves rest on top of the ball. Place arms out your sides to ensure you don’t roll left or right.
- Movement- Drive hips off ground until body makes a straight line from your shoulder blades on the floor to your ankles on the ball. Arms should remain straight out from body. Curl feet towards your butt in a controlled fashion, while keeping your hips as straight as possible. This may take practice.
- Ques- inhale on dissent; exhale on curl. Squeeze and hold for 1-2 seconds at peak of rep. If done correctly, hamstrings should feel very tight close to your butt.
Lying leg curl 21’s: 2×21
- 7 reps from starting position to 1/2 way
- 7 reps from 1/2 way to full contraction
- 7 reps full range of motion
- Do 1-2 stretch variations for each major body part
- 3-5 repetitions per stretch
- 10-20s second hold each
Use a dense foam roller/ softball to loosen and release tension that may have resulted from the copious volume above.
Pray to God you survived, and ask him to help you walk for the next couple of days.
For coaching click below.